This is a table in my living room. I love the pumpkin topiary and the fall-colored M&Ms in the little crystal bowl. I have a lot of books and I change those that I display with the seasons. The one in the photo is on the work of Paul Gauguin and has a lot of oranges, reds, greens, and yellows on the cover. I have a collection of antique magnifying glasses, of which two lay on the book. One of my antique majolica plates with the pear on it is on the plate stand, with a reproduction green majolica plate behind it. The antique table it is all sitting on, my husband and I bought when we were first married in Michigan. The lamp is my very favorite one I own.
This is a sweet little red table, also in my living room, that I love. It displays a ceramic apple and pear and a little ceramic strawberry on a leaf that Gila Meriwether gave to me as a birthday gift one year. Above that is a colorful oil painting and then the black-shaded sconces are wearing soft green wired-ribbons and wired leaves and fruit on the sconce arms.
A close-up of the fall foliage.
What I do to invoke that fall feeling in my house:
1. I start right at the front door where I hang a fall wreath and lay out a fall doormat. I have them at my back door, too.
2. I make sure to light fragrant candles all over the house every night, unless I am making something particularly fragrant for dinner. I like the house to smell really nicely when my husband gets home from work.
3. I set out small bowls of candy throughout the house - either in fall colors like the M&Ms or in fall wrapping, like bite-size Almond Joys, or Mounds. My grandkids love to come over! One time, my youngest granddaughter, Madeline, actually just put her whole face right into a bowl of M&Ms and started eating, like a little piggy or like Randy and the mashed potatoes in the Christmas Story movie.
4. I replace all the kitchen towels and pot holders with fall inspired ones.
5. I make liberal use of pumpkins, fall leaves, and scarecrows and put something in every room.
6. I decorate outside my house too, with cornstalks, hay bales, scarecrows, and pumpkins. I also fly small fall flags.
7. I like things that light up, like my ceramic pumpkins and my little villages. It makes the evening have a nice glow to it.
8. I use big rustic, wooden bowls of fresh apples and pears on my kitchen counter.
9. I like to have at least one fresh flower arrangement in the house at all times. This time of year, I usually like mums.
10. And finally, I always have fresh apple cider and caramel dip in the refrigerator for those impromtu party moments or for when I just want to treat myself with a glass of hot mulled cider with a side of cut-up apples and dip. Yum, yum!!
I hope this inspires you to bring a bit of fall into your home!